The Finding Ada forum is a place where people can come to talk about not just the issues of gender in STEM, but also to share information about organisations working in this area, to volunteer to help such organisations, to plan Ada Lovelace Day events, to share job postings and careers information, and to shoot the breeze and relax with friends.
We want this to be a friendly and welcoming place where different points of view can be heard, and where we can have thoughtful and deep discussions about issues that we are all passionate about. We believe in the value of robust evidence, but also respect the importance of individual experience.
We also know that online communities can be rather like a bonsai Serissa japonica: Beautiful when all is going well, but prone to all the leaves falling off if you look at it wrong. With the aim of keeping our Serissa happy and healthy, we have some guidelines that we would ask you all to follow. Please note that when it comes to online interactions, perception is often more important than intent so take special care to ensure that what you write reflects what you mean.
We moderate discussions quite carefully in order to try to ensure that we maintain a positive, open and supportive atmosphere. That doesn’t mean we want everyone to agree all the time, but whilst dissent is encouraged and respected, abuse will not be tolerated.
We would be very happy to hear your feedback about these guidelines, and to hear how we can make them better:
- No racism, sexism, ageism, homophobia, etc.
- Play the ball, not the player. Bullying will not be tolerated.
- If someone misunderstands you, consider that the problem may be with your communications, not their ability to read.
- Do not solicit or offer medical or psychological advice.
- No outing, doxxing or in any other way revealing another member’s identity.
- Do not post your own or anyone else’s email, phone number, or home address, or other personal details. This includes the details of people who are not members of the forum. Publicly available work-related contact info may be allowed under certain circumstances - ask a mod. If you want to share your own details via private message, then that is your prerogative.
- No libellous content, no defamation, no content illegal under English law.
- Don’t post copyrighted materials in full - always quote a small portion and link to the rest.
- Swearing is allowed, but don’t use it to offend or bully others.
- No content that is not safe for work, even behind spoilers.
- No posts designed to disrupt, provoke or offend.
- No sockpuppets or accounts that impersonate someone else.
- Be kind to new members.
- Assume good faith and give people the benefit of the doubt.
- If in doubt, ask a mod and be patient when waiting for a reply. All mods are volunteers and in different time zones, so we may have to discuss an issue before we decide what our options are. This may require giving a particular discussion thread a ‘time out’, so if that occurs, please respect the time out and do not start duplicate threads on the same matter.
- Anyone who persistently flouts these rules will be banned.
- Anyone who egregiously flouts these rules, even if on their first post, will be given a stern talking to and possibly banned if we believe they are acting in bad faith.