Google manifesto

A Google employee, James Damore, wrote a ‘manifesto’ explaining why he thought the focus on gender and racial diversity and it’s inability to cultivate political diversity was going to harm Google. This, fortunately, did not go down well with many people and he was fired. These links track the story and the wider discussions it generated.

So, about this Googler’s manifesto
This is a great piece with one of the best explanations of what it’s like to work in engineering (and STEM in general) I’ve seen.

Essentially, engineering is all about cooperation, collaboration, and empathy for both your colleagues and your customers. If someone told you that engineering was a field where you could get away with not dealing with people or feelings, then I’m very sorry to tell you that you have been lied to. Solitary work is something that only happens at the most junior levels, and even then it’s only possible because someone senior to you — most likely your manager — has been putting in long hours to build up the social structures in your group that let you focus on code.

Silicon Valley’s weapon of choice against women: shoddy science

Here’s The Full 10-Page Anti-Diversity Screed Circulating Internally At Google

Stop Equating “Science” With Truth

Science Totally Debunks That Shocking Manifesto That Got a Google Employee Fired

What do scientists think about the biological claims made in the document about diversity written by a Google employee in August 2017?

I’m a woman in computer science. Let me ladysplain the Google memo to you

Women say they quit Google because of racial discrimination: ‘I was invisible’

James Damore Offended Fellow Students in Harvard Grad School Skit

0 Likes

More articles on the crappiness of the ‘science’ espoused in the Google manifesto.

The actual science of James Damore’s Google memo

To reduce gender biases, acknowledge them

The truth has got its boots on: what the evidence says about Mr. Damore’s Google memo

We’ve studied gender and STEM for 25 years. The science doesn’t support the Google memo.

0 Likes

And another
Why men don’t believe the data on gender bias in science

0 Likes

And another,
Scientists Must Challenge What Makes Studies Scientific

0 Likes

Google ‘segregates’ women into lower-paying jobs, stifling careers, lawsuit says
The headline says it all. And, Google doesn’t appear to be the only company doing this…

PwC reveals black and Asian workers are paid 13% less

Former Google employees are now going to the courts claiming gender discrimination.
Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Google Alleges ‘Systematic’ Gender Discrimination

0 Likes