Harassment is harassment

Bar staff have to change uniform due to harassment:

0 Likes

That’s an interesting article. It’s sad but practical that they’ve had to change their uniform but I don’t know if I agree with this comment by the manager,

Can you imagine if I went into a restaurant and stuck my hand up a girl’s skirt? I would be taken to the police station and rightly so.

I’d like to think that any man trying this would be marched to the police station but I suspect the more typical reaction would be for managers to tell their female employees not to worry about it, that it’s a just a joke, and so on.

I also found myself laughing at this comment, also by the manager:

“We fellows are very, very aware of sexism. I think the women need to catch up.”

Really? That would be why every time a woman speaks out about sexism all she gets in reply are calls of 'yeah, you’re totally right, how terrible, what can we do to change this" and not, for example, men saying she’s over-reacting or it’s just a joke or it’s not that big a deal.

But even if that was the case, it shows that sexism isn’t just about men demeaning women, it’s about turning people into sex objects. Is it any surprise that after so many centuries of men viewing women as commodities - mere tits and bums - that women might have picked up the idea that this is acceptable behaviour?

I am completely against men being sexually harassed, at work or otherwise, but I think it’s a bit rich to say that it’s because women are the regressive ones. Not all women are paragons of feminism in the same way that not all men are the useless ‘can’t do the washing up or the laundry’ stereotype. Yet due to issues of cultural sexism it’s not surprising that men in skirts (ok, kilts) who are performing a servile role have ended up being sexually harassed. Changing the clothing is a simple but short-term solution and one that’s unfortunate. The longer-term solution is to change the culture that says that people can be reduced to their reproductive organs and that regardless of the power differential, no-one has any right to comment on or see those organs without the express permission of the bearer.

0 Likes

How smearing a woman’s reputation was irresistible for the media
This is one of those stories that are all too common. A guy gets it into his mind to ruin the reputation of a woman and no-one, not her university nor the media, bothered to see if there was any basis to the claims against her (there weren’t) and instead ran with a juicy-sounding (if fictional) story.

0 Likes

‘You will be sexually harassed’: just one of the perils of working for tips

In 2014, a study that surveyed 688 restaurant workers found that a staggering 80% of women experienced sexual harassment from customers, two-thirds from managers, and half from co-workers. (Male restaurant workers also suffered sexual harassment, but to a lesser degree.) The atmosphere of sexual harassment was endemic. No one puts it as succinctly as Alison Baker, 34, who works as a server in a Mexican restaurant in Chicago.

“When you are hired as a waitress, it might as well be a part of the manual. You will be sexually harassed. You are relying on this person for your wage, so you can’t say anything,” she says. “It can be scary. You’re so vulnerable.”

This Is What It’s Like When A Court Tells Your Abusive Ex-Partner Where You Live
Family courts across England are continually disclosing the safe addresses of domestic violence survivors to their abusive ex-partners by accident, and don’t seem to have any inclination to prevent the accidents from happening again.

Gaslighting for Beginners
Brilliant satire that cuts very close to the bone.

India’s female students say ‘to hell with it, we won’t stand for molesting and Eve-teasing’
These are some incredibly brave women.

It’s time to criminalise the street harassment of children and young people
Yes it is.

From Chaucer to rich asshole, sexist banter has been defended as entertainment for 600 years
An interesting historical perspective on sexist banter.

I Have Been Raped by Far Nicer Men Than You
An incredibly powerful piece that should be widely read.

I have been sexually assaulted by men who speak up and speak out about the terrible things that happen to women behind closed doors while benefiting from the fact that you go out of your way to keep those doors shut and the women behind them silent.

As sexual harassment scandals spook men, it can backfire for women
This makes me so angry. Men seem to have this idea that women that women are on tenterhooks ready to scream ‘harassment’ because they said something innocuous. If that happens at all it is so incredibly rare it is far outweighed by the number of legitimate harassment cases that get unreported. Yet men are running scared and are putting women’s careers at risk by failing to treat them like full human beings. Not harassing someone is really easy, and the idea that men think that it’s so difficult they’d rather cut off contact with women professionally than learn to control themselves is a really damning indictment of how unprofessional they really are.

0 Likes

Judge: Overweight teen victim may have been “flattered” by sexual assault
AGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

When will judges understand, it doesn’t matter what you look like, it doesn’t matter if you flirted, it doesn’t matter if the attacker was attractive or ‘nice’, all that matters is whether or not both parties consented.

0 Likes