Resources for under-10s

I want to collate a list of resources for under-10s, and especially for children up to 5 years old. Please include age range if possible when you post a link.

Island Grows, Lola M. Schaefer (Author), Cathie Felstead (Illustrator)
Ages: 4-8

This is the story of the birth of an island, from the first red-hot glow of magma at the bottom of the ocean, to the flowing lava that hardens and builds up higher and higher until, finally, it breaks through the water′s surface.

And then, life comes to the island. First come the small plants and animals, and later, people. This is a tale as old-and as new-as the ground we walk on.

0 Likes

Whizz Pop Bang
Ages: 6-11

http://www.whizzpopbang.com/

Whizz Pop Bang is a new monthly UK children’s science magazine aimed at making science fun and engaging for 6-11 year old children (and their parents)!

0 Likes

Chemistry books for kids

They look awesome!

ETA: Right up until the point when you realise that Ned the Neutron and Pete the Proton are orbited by Ellie the Electron… and that the books are predominantly blue.

I’m just so fed up of seeing great products like this ruined by a lack of gender stereotype awareness.

0 Likes

Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine.
ages 5-10

(Disclaimer: I’m the author.)

2 Likes

We’ve done a kids activity book including stickers about women mainly in construction and engineering, called Yes We Can. Lots of the activities have characters that are based on real life women in Sheffield (eg Audrey the Engineer, Mandy the Electrician, Kay the Plumber).
We have printed copies (anyone can have, but please send postage), or PDF free on WEST website. Some embryonic online activities, but need developing.
Age range is infant schools (4 - 7)
Go to http://www.westskills.org.uk/yeswecan (I’m a new user, so I can’t post the link, sorry).

EDITED: To fix link.

1 Like

List of books about maths and science for pre-schoolers. Lots of them, but they would need assessing to see how gender neutral, or not, each one is.

http://www.benicialibrary.org/kids/booklists/grade/preschool/mathscience

0 Likes

Lots of ideas here, but would need to be sorted for STEM relevance:

http://www.amightygirl.com/

0 Likes

Female dolls doing cool stuff!

Ages 3- 9 ish

1 Like

There’s some interesting books by Andrea Beaty.

The one that looks most interesting is, Ada Twist, Scientist, which is out in September.
There isn’t any info on the site at the moment, but here is a description from Amazon:

Like her classmates, builder Iggy and inventor Rosie, scientist Ada, a character of color, has a boundless imagination and has always been hopelessly curious. Why are there pointy things stuck to a rose? Why are there hairs growing inside your nose? When her house fills with a horrific, toe-curling smell, Ada knows it’s up to her to find the source. Not afraid of failure, she embarks on a fact-finding mission and conducts scientific experiments, all in the name of discovery. But, this time, her experiments lead to even more stink and get her into trouble!

Inspired by real-life makers such as Ada Lovelace and Marie Curie, Ada Twist, Scientist champions girl power and women scientists, and brings welcome diversity to picture books about girls in science. Touching on themes of never giving up and problem solving, Ada comes to learn that her questions might not always lead to answers, but rather to more questions. She may never find the source of the stink, but with a supportive family and the space to figure it out, she’ll be able to feed her curiosity in the ways a young scientist should.

There are others too. Rosie Revere, Engineer has educational resources that go alongside the book - downloadable teachers guides, as well as links to other sites https://www.andreabeaty.com/rosie-educational-resources.html

0 Likes

Kazoo Magazine looks interesting…

http://kazoomagazine.com/

So, in April, we launched a Kickstarter with hopes that other people would also be as interested in a magazine that doesn’t tell girls how to look or act, but instead inspires them to be strong, smart, fierce and, above all, true to themselves. It turns out, we weren’t alone in our quest to do better by our daughters. Within 30 days, Kazoo became the most successful journalism campaign in crowdfunding history.

There’s no other magazine like Kazoo. All of our stories are either developed or inspired by top female artists, explorers, scientists, chefs, athletes, activists, writers and others. Regular features include: science experiments; comics; art projects; recipes; interviews with inspiring women from Olympic athletes to astronauts; and fun activities, like secret codes, jokes, mazes, search-and-finds and more.

0 Likes

Just had a look through the mighty girl site - from the books, pulled out these so far.

Me…Jane by Patrick McDonnell. Ages 3-8.
Girls Think of Everything: Stories of Ingenious Inventions by Women by Catherine Thinmesh. Age: 8+.
Marvelous Mattie: How Margaret E. Knight Became an Inventor by Emily Arnold McCully. Ages 5-8.
The Watcher: Jane Goodall’s Life with the Chimps by Jeanette Winter. Ages 4-8.
My Life with the Chimpanzees by Jane Goodall. Age 8+.
One Grain of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale by Demi. Ages 4-9.
My Name Is Not Isabella: Just How Big Can a Little Girl Dream? by Jennifer Fosbury. Ages 4-8.
I Want to Be an Astronaut by Byron Barton. Ages 1-3.
Maria’s Comet by Deborah Hopkinson. Ages 4-8.
Summer Birds: The Butterflies of Maria Merian by Margarita Engle. Ages 4-8.
Stone Girl Bone Girl: The Story of Mary Anning by Laurence Anholt. Ages 5-8.
Math Curse by Jon Scieszka. Ages 6-10.
Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle by Claire A. Nivola. Ages 4-8.
Infinity and Me by Kate Hosford. Ages 5-8.
The Elephant Scientist by Caitlin O’Connell and Donna M. Jackson. Age 9+.
Who Says Women Can’t Be Doctors?: The Story of Elizabeth Blackwell by Tanya Lee Stone. Ages 4-8.
Look Up!: Henrietta Leavitt, Pioneering Woman Astronomer by Robert Burleigh. Ages 4-8.
Sea Turtle Scientist by Steve Swinburne. Age 9+.
Rachel Carson: Preserving a Sense of Wonder by Joseph Bruchac. Ages 4-8.
Velma Gratch and the Way Cool Butterfly by Alan Madison. Ages 4-8.
Olivia’s Birds: Saving the Gulf by Olivia Bouler. Ages 7-12.
Dive! My Adventures in the Deep Frontier by Sylvia Earle. Ages 8-12.
The Fossil Girl: Mary Anning’s Dinosaur Discovery by Catherine Brighton. Ages 5-9.
Lise Meitner: Had the Right Vision About Nuclear Fission by Mike Venezia. Ages 7-10.
Who Was Sally Ride? by Megan Stine. Ages 8-12.
Clara and Davie: The True Story of a Young Clara Barton, Founder of the American Red Cross by Patricia Polacco. Ages 4-8.
Hedy Lamarr and a Secret Communication System by Trina Robbins. Ages 8-11.
Spic-and-Span!: Lillian Gilbreth’s Wonder Kitchen by Monica Kulling. Ages 5-8.
Solving The Puzzle Under The Sea: Marie Tharp Maps the Ocean Floor by Robert Burleigh. Ages 5-9.
To The Stars!: The First American Woman to Walk In Space by Carmella Van Vleet and Dr. Kathy Sullivan. Ages 5-9.
Dian Fossey: Friend to Africa’s Gorillas by Robin S. Doak. Ages 8-12.
Florence Nightingale by Demi. Ages 5-9.
The Woman Who Invented Windshield Wipers: Mary Anderson and Her Wonderful Invention by Sara L Latta. Ages 7-9.
I Am Jane Goodall by Brad Meltzer. Ages 4-8.
In the Bag!: Margaret Knight Wraps It Up by Monica Kulling. Ages 5-8.
Oh, No! (Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World) by Mac Barnett. Ages 3-7.
11 Experiments That Failed by Jenny Offill. Ages 4-8.
The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires. Ages 3-7.

0 Likes

These look nice https://www.lottie.com/blogs/great-women-and-girls - Great women and girls biographies

0 Likes

Have we had this site? (gosh it’s so long since I’ve been here, I can hardly remember).

We create games to ignite the imagination of the scientists, engineers, inventors and superheroes of tomorrow.

Aimed at ages 3 to 14.

Came up on ALD yesterday with this nice timeline http://www.theremarkablz.com/oursuperheroes

0 Likes