The fitness thread

Fishnut asked on another thread about the NHS Couch to 5k app I’m using:

Completely ignoring your point (which is well-made and definitely something worthy of discussion), I’ve had a look at the NHS podcast but haven’t tried it out yet and was wondering what you thought of it. It seems to only have one run a week until week 5. Is that all you’re doing or do you listen to the same podcast a few times? I really need to get fitter but am struggling to get started. Once it becomes a habit it’ll be ok, it’s just making that habit that’s hard!

It’s pretty good, really. It eases you in really gently, and gradually increases the amount of time you spend running. Some weeks you do the same run three times, which is why the early weeks appear to have only one podcast. The app automatically repeats it the right number of days for you, so you don’t have to keep track.

I’m the same with habits - once I have this embedded as a habit, then I’m going to move on to strength training. Then once that’s nailed down, I’ll start counting calories again. I’ve put on quite a few kg over the last 18 months!

0 Likes

Thanks for that. I only had the podcasts, not the app, so I’m getting the app and will start trying it out. Soon. . . !

0 Likes

Noticed in the shower I have a massive blister on my big toe. Bah.

0 Likes

For a different take, there is an app called ‘Zombies, Run!’ that might be worth a shot. It intersperses your music with snippets of a story that you are involved in, which provides incentives to run. I think you can change the settings to be more or less demanding - longer/shorter, more/fewer/no sprints etc - depending on what you are after, and you could always walk briskly rather than run or whatever.

0 Likes

Yeah, I have heard of Zombies Run! I’ll probably give it a go when I’ve finished the Couch to 5k as a way to keep me going!

0 Likes

I haven’t used it as when I ran I listened to podcasts, meaning half an hour or more between zombie interludes, but I love the idea.

0 Likes

Went for my 3rd run of week 4, and my first one using the Strava app. Apparently there’s no difference in pace between my walking and running!! Bah!!

0 Likes

Friend of mine sent me this:

It’s about how to improve your gait when running. Tried it yesterday, but not sure if I was doing it right at all. Yesterday was my first run in 4 weeks, so not exactly the easiest run I’ve ever done. But at least I did it!

0 Likes

Today I tried to put on my chinos, which I bought last year. I cannot do them up. Drastic action is needed, so I’m going to try the 5:2 diet. I never had that much success with normal dieting, despite being all very sensible and focusing on cutting out the crap. So I’m hoping that this will be more successful. Most people seem to a bit less than half a kilo a week, which would be awesome. I’d hit my target weight in 14 weeks, which seems most attractive!

Fingers crossed!

0 Likes

Good luck!

I tried to put on some shorts that I’ve had for years and I couldn’t do them up so I too am taking a good look at what I’m eating. I’m trying not to ‘diet’ as such because I’m very dubious about the long-term effects but I am trying to modify how and what I eat. I’ve set myself a challenge of not having any junk food for a week and to eat healthily. If I can avoid chocolate, biscuits and crisps for a week then I think that will make a big difference. The week is more a test of self-control than anything but I think that a lot of my eating is just habit and boredom so I really need to break the cycle. Plus I’m going to start running. I am.

0 Likes

Yeah, I tried to do that, but ultimately it was too much willpower which I just have very depleted reserves of atm. 5:2 only takes willpower on two days, so long as i don’t binge on the other five. I think I stand a better chance of doing that than cutting down in general.

0 Likes

I know what you mean about willpower, it’s just I don’t know if I’ve got the willpower to only do 500 calories for 2 days a week, plus I don’t know if I can be bothered to do the investigation needed to find out how to make meals that will provision me with that.

Of course, I failed somewhat at the first hurdle. I did really well all day but in the evening I ended up having some fudge I’d bought at Hampton Court Flower Show and I had a packet of crisps that I got given for free at the same show. More resilience is needed today. I was really hoping to start running tonight but the weather has turned disgusting so I’m not sure I’m going to make it. Bugger.

0 Likes

Today is my first 500 calorie day, though if it’s between 500 and 600 I’ll be happy. I use http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ to count calories, but there’s a bunch of calorie counting websites and apps out there so all you really need to do is weigh things. I suspect a lot of salad is in my future.

0 Likes

Right, halfway through the day, have eaten less than 200 calories. Currently not yet wanting to punch anyone, but am really quite hungry. Hunger pangs do come and go, though. Just waiting for my next salad, which I may bring forward half an hour.

0 Likes

Good luck!

I’ve been pretty good during the day but come the evening I weaken. I’ve had a packet of crisps and some fudge. I was going to go running this evening but ended up doing a load of gardening for my mum. Tomorrow I’m out so it’s going to be Thursday before I get a chance to go.

0 Likes

Woo hoo! (Spellcheck really doesn’t like ‘hoo’). I’ve just done my first proper run on the couch to 5k app! It was ok. I took the dog with me. I’m now worrying whether he should do the whole ‘to 5k’ thing or if that’s too much for a lab. I might ask the vets (I’m probably worrying too much but 5k is a lot for a dog to run- it’s a lot for me to run and I’ve got (slightly) longer legs!)

0 Likes

Yay!! Congratulations!

Nice to have the dog with you. I don’t know how much dogs can run, though they do have four legs over your two!

0 Likes

He was certainly better at it than me this time - he managed to keep up and found time to have a good sniff!

0 Likes

I went for another run tonight. It felt a lot harder this time, I was desperate for the minute to end each time, and I managed to get my timings off so I ended up having to run up and down the same stretch of path a few times to finish off, but I did it.

I popped into the vets on the way home and asked about whether it was ok for Hux to run with me. The vet said that it was, as long as keep an eye out for signs that he’s done too much. My biggest concern was his joints as labs have a tendency to have problems and he did say about that and said to keep an eye out for any stiffness, but also to recognise that being stiff isn’t necessary a sign of impending arthritis - after all, we can be stiff after a run and so can dogs. It was really reassuring and it’s nice because having him come with me gives me some encouragement and companionship which makes me more inclined to go than just going by myself.

0 Likes

Well done!! I do find that the hardness varies a lot, so just keep at it.

I’m not running atm because I have a problem with my ear - it’s all gummed up with wax and I can’t hear anything and I really don’t feel like going out for a run! I know that’s probably wussy of me, but eh.

0 Likes