The forum is changing!

We’ve been using the Vanilla forum software since starting this community, but over the last month it’s become clear that it is not quite doing what we would like it to do. Whilst we could try to fix it, it seems much easier to switch to new software, Discourse, which does not just what we want, but more! 

We will be making the switchover in the next few days. Your existing login should work fine on the new forum, but if it doesn’t just reset your password. Also, we’ll be tweaking the settings during the first few weeks of the new forum, so please bear with us as we do that! 

0 Likes

I’m hoping the new one will have better spam protection!

0 Likes

I think it does - we should be able to prevent them posting links for first posts, and also putting links in their profiles - at the moment, we can’t seem to do any of that!

I’ve just got rid of the last lot you reported, neotoma, so thanks for that. It only used to be maybe one or two a day, but the level has increased recently.

eniphaest :slight_smile:
0 Likes

I think I see them first because I’m in Oz - I am running out of ways to rewrite the spam song though!

0 Likes

Yeah, we’ve had problems with the sign-up process, which has not been reliably sending out verification emails so took the decision to not verify users. That lets the spammers in more easily, though, which is a pain in the proverbials. 

I’m hoping to prep for the change in software by the end of this week. We’ll likely have to take the forum down for a while as we do the changeover, but it’s so quiet here that won’t matter too much!! 

Thank you very much for flagging the spam, though, Neotoma! Much appreciated!
0 Likes

I must say that eniphaest is doing a sterling job of hunting down the spammers - I’ve only managed to do a teeny bit, but she wields the mighty ban hammer and wears the stompy mod boots :smiley:

0 Likes

I am indeed indebted to eniphaest for squishing the spammers with such alacrity! 

0 Likes

OK, so the forum switchover is going to take place this week, hopefully soon, so don’t be surprised if you visit and it’s either a) down for maintenance or b) different!! 

0 Likes

With any luck, the forum changeover will happen tonight, GMT, whilst most of our users are asleep! Tomorrow we should have a nice new shiny forum with fewer spammers! 

0 Likes

Ohh, exciting, it’s like Christmas Eve!

0 Likes

Ha ha ha. I just realised that, depending on how I interpret Greg’s note, it might be tomorrow rather than today! 

But it will be nice to have something shiny and new in place. 
0 Likes

Well, I’ve cleared out the recent lot of spammers - in fact, we’ve had no genuine registrations since Greg signed up! 

0 Likes

We have switched! Enjoy the new forum, everyone!!

0 Likes

Ooooh this is nice :slight_smile: thanks Suw and everyone involved with the switch!

0 Likes

I had to reset my password and profile picture, but I’m back. And there are no spammers!

Hoorah, thanks Suw and Greg.

0 Likes