Why Diversity Matters

I’ve probably said this before, but it bears repeating. Increasing diversity in companies and organisations only creates benefits if the organisation takes advantage of that diversity. Taking in people from diverse backgrounds and then forcing them to adhere to the status quo doesn’t help anyone.

But why does increasing diversity matter? What benefits does increasing diversity bring?

Well, for one thing it can bring better representation.

This teacher’s brilliant social experiment reveals why gender equality in Congress matters
I won’t spoil the experiment but it’s a great example.

I’m looking for more examples of why increasing diversity is a good thing, not just morally but economically as well. Equally, if there’s examples of increased diversity hurting business then please share here too.

0 Likes

Recruiting for diversity: this much we know
This is a really interesting piece where one company critically examines how it was doing on the diversity front and how it managed to improve its diversity.

0 Likes

Improving gender equality is the key to tackling Britain’s male teacher shortage
I wholeheartedly agree with this article.

0 Likes

How male teachers can help to challenge gender roles in nursery school education
Another article on the male teacher shortage

0 Likes

A fantastic resource. A fully referenced infographic on why diversity matters.

1 Like

That piece was very interesting and detailed - I think they made some good changes.

Also, the Flickr they linked to for tech women of colour photos looks like a good resource too https://www.flickr.com/photos/wocintechchat/

0 Likes

Thinking about women and girls makes development work better for everyone
This is a good piece with a properly global perspective that is highlighting research (linked to in the article) that shows that global development projects are more sustainable when they put gender at the centre of their plans.

0 Likes